Grave number : 2
|Show the location of the grave on the cemetery map|
Last name Name, Other informations
|Kordik Wenzel, Pastor, St. Maurenzen, (Svatý Mouřenec) , * 05.06.1810, † 03.07.1885|
Information about the grave
|Edging of the grave :||stone|
|Inscription :||stone slab on the wall|
|•|| From the photo album of great-great-great-uncle Wenzel Kordik,|
Pastor in St. Maurenzen in the Bohemian Forest
Wenzel Kordik was buried in the St. Maurenzen cemetery. His grave is to the right of the entrance to the church. Many know the place, but it was hardly noticed.
Wenzel Kordik, who was actually baptized as Johann Wenzel Kordik, was born on June 5, 1810. His family had been landowners in Birkau/ Brezi - Čachrov in the foothills of the Bohemian Forest since 1792. The manor house still exists today.
His father Johann Kordik (1763-1823) married Monika Nepomukena Adler (1777-1850). Monika was the daughter of Tobias Raphal Adler (1741-1810). He founded the Tafelberg glassworks, also called Tobiashütte or Antoniahütte in Aussergefild/ Kvilda.
Johann Kordik and Monika Adler had 14 children. Monika Kordik was also referred to as the root mother, since her children and grandchildren were related to many families. A grandchild Josepha Kordik (1854-1918) married Johann Aussprung (1853-1926) from Neustadl/ Nové Městečko.
Little is known about Wenzel Kordik's siblings. The eldest brother Augustin Kordik, born in 1804, was a judge in the southern Bohemian town of Tabor. There was only one photo of the 2 years younger sister Sofia, who was married to Maximilian Appelbauer. The younger brother Emanuel Kordik (1811-1889) continued to run the Birkau estate until his death. In the 1960s he founded the Bohemian Forest Association. This campaigned for the interests of the Bohemian Forest in Prague. Karel Klostermann's father, Dr. Josef Klostermann from Bergreichenstein/ Kašperské Hory was a member of this association. In 1879, Emanuel Kordik was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Emperor Franz Josef Order by the Emperor for his commitment. His daughters married into the Müller family - landowners in Seewiesen/Javorná, the Herbst family - landowners in Kundratitz/ Kundratice and the Ascherl family - glass manufacturer and landowner in Neubrunst/Novy Brunst. The son Wenzel Kordik took over the estate in Birkau and continued to run it.
The best-known brother today was Johann Baptist Kordik (1815-1889). He received his doctorate as a general practitioner and settled in Weitra in Lower Austria. After the revolution in 1848, he was elected the city's first mayor. He held this office from 1850-1855. A monument was erected in the Gabrielental after he discovered a healing spring in 1851. This was named after him. The stone with a picture medallion is near the town of Weitra. dr Johann Kordik married Sophia Elisabetha von Hafenbrädl (1816-1896), who came from the baronial family of Hafenbrädl from Eisenstein. With more than 40 glassworks, the Hafenbrädl were the most important family of glass lords in Central Europe. They also founded the village of Hurkenthal/Hurka and had Deffernik Castle built near Eisenstein. The life of the family was part of the history of Eisenstein and the entire Bavarian and Bohemian Forest.
After completing his studies, Wenzel Kordik was ordained a priest on July 25, 1833. His first job was in Eisenstrass/Hojsova Straz, where he stayed until the autumn of 1837 before he accepted the call to Hammern/ Hamry. From 1845 he looked after the church of St. Catherine in Hartmanitz/Hartmanice, which at that time was a subsidiary church of St. Maurenzen. It was not until 1856 that Wenzel Kordik became a permanent pastor in Hartmanitz. When the pastor of St. Maurenzen, Johann Panek, suddenly died at the age of 54 on March 5, 1869, Wenzel Kordik succeeded him. He had thereby inherited a vast parish area with many scattered villages and farms. In order to fulfill the many tasks, he was assigned chaplain Franz Ryda. Just 2 years later he was given the office of episcopal notary. This was also a high honor for the parish. Through his efforts, the bishop appointed him staff dean in 1884. He was directly subordinate to the bishop. As personal dean, he had to take care of the liturgy in the various parishes, as well as help and support the pastors in the dean's office.
When Wenzel Kordik, 59 years old, came to the Maurenzen-Berg, he was already in poor health. As can be seen from the historical photo, he had a disease of the thyroid gland. The throat swelled mostly from lack of iodine. This made it difficult for him to write. He conscientiously kept the church books of St. Maurenzen, but the writing got worse and worse. Family researchers can hardly decipher his writing today. Reading the church records under Wenzel Kordik's tenure is a particular challenge.
On July 5, 1885, he was baptizing Hedwig Pfeifer from Nusserau/Nuzerov in the venerable church of St. Maurenzen when he collapsed. He was taken to the vicarage in Roisko/Rajsko and the hastily summoned priest from Langendorf/Dlouhá Ves administered last rites to him. Just 3 days later he was blessed by vicar and archpriest Johann Jungbauer and buried in eternal rest next to the entrance to the church. Even today, his grave tablet reports: "died in practice of his profession".
Later his family donated a white marble plaque that was embedded in the church wall. It says: Here rests P. Wenzel Kordik, peace to his ashes: honor his memory!
Sources: Aussprung family archive, anno-Austrian National Library, erzdioezese-wien, Porta fontium, Weitra.gv.at, hrady-zriceniny, Wudy, Häupler - village and market Eisenstein 2005, Peter Schmid
Photos of the grave